Wednesday, November 10, 2010

He IS Enough

I am an idolater. Idolater: a person that admires intensely and often blindly one that is not usually a subject of worship. An idol is a man-made object that is worshipped in some way. I have two idols, money and food. These are the things that I go to for comfort before I go to the one true comforter and healer. These are the things that I want to make me feel better before I open my Bible. These are the things that I believe will make me happier before I go to my God in prayer. Seriously. I believe in food and the things money will buy more than I believe in the One True God. I do not believe He Is Enough. So when I feel down or stressed or doubtful or hurt or angry, I eat or I spend. I do not open my Bible or pray. The truth is that I believe that lie. The reality is I know it is a lie and yet I open the pantry and my pocketbook when I should open my Bible. The absolute truth is HE IS ENOUGH. He is. He can give me hope and peace and truth and healing and the ability to love with my heart and my words and my actions. HE CAN.

Psalm 73: 25-26 Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.



So, my challenge today is to trust Him. Trust that HE IS ENOUGH by not eating for comfort or buying things that I do not need. To glorify God in my ability to trust Him. Completely.

What are your idols? What do you go to for comfort before you go to the One True God? Join me in my challenge and open your Bible or sit and pray when you want that hole in your heart filled up. Join a Bible study, call an encouraging Christian friend, call me! Fill it up with God's love. We all have holes and we try and fill them up with material, worldly things that won't actually fill holes. The only thing that will fill them up completely and forever is our Savior. Today I am challenging me and I am challenging you. Will you accept the challenge?

5 comments:

  1. I hear you. I am surrounded by people who are actually worshipping real-life idols, and I am constantly reminded that my idols of people's applause or self or food or stuff or comfort is JUST AS REAL--and maybe even more dangerous, because they are more easily hidden and more subtly excused. thanks for the good reminder of that, today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has revealed to me today that this computer is an idol. BIG SIGH! I'm off to make chocolate chip cookies with Kenny and listen to some good worship music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Anne-Marie! Our home group is going through a wonderful series of mini-sermons/bible study called "Loving God With All Your Heart" by Darrell Ferguson--WHICH HAS CAUSED A PARADIGM SHIFT in my own heart towards seeking God (over other "broken cisterns," aka idols). Check it out at www.foodforyoursoul.net and look under Series Alphabetically.

    Diana Watson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Diana -- I'll check it out. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving your blog Anne-Marie! This post especially as I have been struggling with the realization that I say I love God, but my actions do not show it. I will choose SO many other things over spending time with Him - even laundry! My two big idols are sleep and this rotten computer. I don't believe time with God is crucial to my life. I preach it, but I don't practice it. My lie is believing that "I am enough". Can't wait to read more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete